Building a rapport with the big cheese is an integral part of success–it never hurts to have friends in high places, and leadership is in the best position to provide performance appraisals and suggest options for career development. Here are ten questions to help on both fronts:
- What are two or three important things for me to focus on learning or improving in the next 3 months?
- How do you define success for this position?
- What can I do to make your job easier?
- (If the boss held your position in the past) What did you think was the best part of this position? What was the hardest part?
- Do other companies have this position? How do they implement it?
- Why do you like working here?
- What’s the hardest part about your job?
- What is something you know now that you wish you’d known at my age?
- What do you do when you want to get completely away from work?
- Is there any additional training I can take, or particular topics I could educate myself on?
Demonstrating commitment to the job and a personal interest in your team is a great way to get a leg up, and these questions are an easy start.